Sunday, March 19, 2017

Thank Heaven for Little Ghouls

Pieface

Joey
Here follows a very short post on the current state of Pieface and Joey, the two smallest additions to the Red Ghouls. (Those are 20mm bases on both.)

Two creepy little dudes. It therefore seems fitting to riff on one of the creepier songs in popular culture for the post's title. An unsettling ditty if ever there was one.

As per my usual practice, all the basecolors are blocked in. This will be followed by highlighting, shading (with washes), and a whole lot of adjustments & touch-ups.

The colors are muted except for the red and the fleshtone of the infant Pieface holds.

It's interesting to see how light falls on Joey. The miniature has a turned head, forward-leaning stance, and an enormous teddy-bear tucked against the right side of the body, resulting in deep shadows in some unusual places. Having seen this, I'll keep the picture handy as a reference while painting.

22 comments:

  1. Marvellous miniatures off to a terrific start, Finch. What awesomely creepy painting subjects too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to a nice start Finch. I do love seeing your Ghouls come to painted life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming along very nicely...Joey, in particular, is a brilliant fig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey is one of a kind, that's for sure. Many such odd-ball gems lurk amongst Wyrd's OOP stuff.

      Delete
  4. For some reason these feel like I shouldn't like them, but I do.
    They are marvelously disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us. It's paradoxical to be drawn to something due to it being repellent.

      Delete
  5. Curious to see how you are going to make the bright bits and the generally more muted whole all work together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my fingers crossed.

      Not my first rodeo as far as this scheme is concerned. The saturated color of the baby should really draw the eye.

      Delete
  6. Disgusting little creeps - great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at the unpainted figure for Pieface, I never noticed that he was holding a baby - that is disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No argument here. It does dovetail nicely though with the Reaper ghoul-hag I painted a while back... also holding a baby... also disturbing.

      Delete
  8. "Best Blog Post Title of the Year"
    - 2017 Readers Digest Awards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool beans. I'll start work on my acceptance speech forthwith. ;)

      Delete
  9. I think Edgar was responsible for the initial slew of Wyrd releases (excellent sculpts). Goumon did some excellent work (I got the gremlins, as he was struggling with them), Buddle did a couple.
    - What's your stance on the current 'miniature-model-kit' Wyrd stuff (applies to current GW produce also)?
    I can't seem to find a IM/Email addy on here, how might I go about sending you a private (miniatures related) note?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Baron.

      I've added a contact form to the sidebar to allow further communication.

      I got one of Wyrd's newer plastic minis mixed in with some stuff from eBay a while back. The detail seemed softer than metal would have been but overall it wasn't terrible. I've had zero exposure to GW's current product.

      Delete